These thumbprints will remind you of Oreo’s
But in a chewy kind of way, paired with salted caramel…*sigh
The caramel sauce slightly thickens and hardens once the cookies set properly, while the chocolate creates a delicious core that you can really stick your teeth into.
We love the fact that even though it’s the same cookie, you can get two completely different experiences. One that fulfills your cravings for all things gooey & caramel and another sultry chocolate one.
It feels great when we don’t have to choose and can have it all, especially when it comes to treats like these.
The balance in salty and sweet will take you to the ultimate bliss point.
Chewy “Oreo” with Salted Caramel
WHAT (24 servings)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1/2 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce or Melted Caramels*
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Ziptop bag
- Stand mixer
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
1. In bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar (2 minutes). Add vanilla and give it a good stir. Add soda, salt and mix until incorporated. Mix in cocoa powder and flour, stir until smooth.
2. Take a piece of dough (about 2 tablespoons) and roll between your hands into a ball. Using your index finger, gently press into the middle of the ball to make a small indentation. Place on the cookie sheet and continue with remaining dough.
Bake (9-10 minutes). Remove from the oven and if necessary, press your finger into the middle of each cookie to reinforce the indentation for the filling. Let cookies cool (5 minutes) before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. Once cooled, prepare the fillings.
Simply combine the chocolate and shortening in a heatproof bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted. Spoon into a ziptop bag, cut off one corner and pipe chocolate into half of the cookies. Fill another ziptop bag with the salted caramel sauce (or melted caramels), cut off one corner and pipe into remaining cookies. Top with sea salt and let cookies sit at room temperature or in the fridge until set.
Cookies will keep up to 7 days stored in an airtight container.
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce:
Melt 1/2 cup caramels with 1 teaspoon of water.