Won’t be able to get enough of the crispy-edged, tender spelt crumb and juicy bits of plum…
Vanilla Spelt Plum Cake
WHAT (12 Servings)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1 pound plums - pitted and quartered
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour - divided
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar - divided
- 1 5- inch vanilla bean - split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup milk - room temperature
- 1 large egg
- Whipped cream or crème fraîche (garnish)
Preheat oven to 400 F.
1. Line with parchment and grease 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Leave some parchment overhanging on both ends (so you can lift cake out later)
2. Toss plums with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, set aside.
3. Pour sugar into bowl, scrape vanilla seeds from the halved pod, rub into sugar with fingertips. Rub the pods into sugar as well, to catch any remaining beans. Discard pods or reserve for another use.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or with a hand held mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy (2 minutes)
Add 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar, beat (2 minutes) Add the egg, mix until each well combined scrape down sides as needed.
5. With mixer on low, add half the flour, the milk, and finally, remaining flour.
6. Scrape batter into prepared dish. Smooth batter out with a silicone spatula. In neat rows, lightly press plums into the surface of your cake. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar.
7. Bake (35 - 40 minutes) until the top is golden, the edges have started to pull away from the pan, and a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
Cool completely on a wire rack before serving, with a dollop of whipped cream or crème fraîche, naturally.